Lightning is a giant bolt of energy created inside clouds. The early Greeks believed the king of the Gods, Zeus hurled lightning bolts from the sky. Vikings imagined their god of water, Thor, striking his powerful hammer against an anvil to produce the sound of hammer and the lightning. Lightning can electrocute people, if you don't watch out, you will get electrocuted.
- There are about nine million lightning strikes in the world everyday.
- Lightning is even hotter than the burning sun.
- The Empire State building in New York City gets struck by lightning about 100 times a year
- A bolt of lightning can be more than 50 miles long
- Lightning can cause forest fires
- People see lightning before they hear thunder
- Most lightning occurs in the Spring and Summer when there is a lot of Rain